Thursday, 30 April 2015

Bush Day 5

Seriously restless night! Got up early so mom could go to the bank and I could go to the dentist after 2 days of increasing pain. 

Town is a 1hr drive for us so going to town has to be for a good reason and fortunately for me, we had banking to do - otherwise, I honestly would have pushed through with the pain. Anyway, we arrived in town just before 8am and fortunately Pick n Pay was open so we could get our groceries done (thinking that we could do dentist then bank then get home early). After grocery shopping we found the dentists office and I was sorted with a script for my tooth infection and sent on my way feeling relieved that no dental work was needed. We went to the local Link pharmacy (sadly there is no Dis-Chem in town), got the meds and then got cokes from the Spar before going to the bank.

Sadly, when we hit town I saw a message that a good friend of mine had passed away. Although I think we all knew it was going to happen sooner or later, it is still very sad and our hearts go out to the family. Ali was a very special lady.

Anyway... The bank was entertaining and totally unhelpful. We had to wait an unknown time for them to sort something out so we headed to Wimpy for a quick breakfast followed by some shopping for a friend of moms and then visiting someone we knew before heading back to the bank. I was seriously unimpressed by how we were treated. The consultant had zero care in the world about us. She just wanted lunch and when asked questions, she ignored me. At one stage I asked for the customer care telephone number and she blatantly ignored me! It was only after I asked again in front of one of her colleagues that she gave it to me. She then went on lunch.

Long story short: we kind of came right at the bank but are in amazement at how bad that branch is.

We got home just after lunch and relaxed with a drink and our books. Much needed recovery after the morning! And by this stage, I was sore again.

Late afternoon we hit the road again for a night drive. In general it was a drab drive from a game perspective. There was hardly anything. Ok fine... 4 buffalo grazing but that was the highlight. Until we came across Nunu Pie! This little squirrel was so funny. We had stopped for a drink and to watch the sunset when this little squirrel started climbing around our wheel and popping its head in and out of the wheel arch. It was almost as if he was trying to see what this strange species was on this giant tin can.

(The yummy bottle of wine I got as a gift from my colleagues.)

After Nunu Pie, we meandered on through the bush with no excitement and we decided to head home. On our way, mom asked for a drinks refill so I stopped and as I did so, my sister in law spotted a young leopard. We watched him as he casually turned around and went to take another route to wherever he or she was headed. We tried to find it again but were unsuccessful so we headed home for dinner. But... An early dinner was not to be! Not far from where we had seen the leopard, we turned a corner and in the middle of the road were 2 sleeping lionesses!!

We watched them for at least 30minutes as we waited for them to move out of the way.  Eventually they got up and ambled past the vehicles and into the bush. Whilst watching them, I aimed my cycling light at them as a spot light so we wouldn't have to use the spot lights - I was so amazed at how well it worked!! I may just have to get a stronger bike light for use on the deck and landie... (Ok, and hopefully Transbaviaans next year.)

We got home and eventually had our steaks and went to bed. Must after we had closed up and gone to bed, an elephant was spotted walking past the house so we all got up, watched the elephant meander past and then we eventually all went to bed.

Was a long but good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment