Sunday, 25 December 2016

Bush Day 1 - trip down

After an insane week of starting work at 1am most days, the time had finally arrived to leave for the farm. I was broken and tired so needed it. To give you and idea of how I felt: on Friday after I handed my home over to the housesitter, I piled out my narrow garage and planted my front bumper firmly into the side wall of the garage as I tried turning too soon!! After getting myself unstuck, I went to Mom's house.

Back to the bush day 1... we got up at 4am to the sound of awesome rain in Jozi. Happy for my garden!! After coffee and packing, we left. The trip was fairly uneventful until the last kms. As we crossed the Blyde River, mom reminded me to slow down and in my tired state I thought the limit as 80 so got my speed down. Dumb move! Cops were trapping and I got nailed for R300. The ethics of these cops were not so great but hey.

We went on our way, with my licking my wounds over the R300 forked out for my speeding. As soon as we hit that dirt road, the 2 of us opened a drink. We had made it safely.

The dirt road part was boring and aside for having been told that unit 29 had been struck by lightening the night before and had burnt to the ground, there was not much happening on the farm. Fortunately for the unit, the amazing staff here had saved all their household contents so it was just the house. Sympathies to the family who lost their bush home.

Unpacking was tough in the heat!! Mom and I were literally dripping with sweat as we took stuff out the car and unpacked the cooler boxes. After unpacking we sat down to relax and Mom raised a valid question: where was Gareth and Danielle? They had been just behind us entering the gate. I grabbed my phone and discovered that they had sent us an SOS message. They had gotten stuck in the mud at a dry river bed crossing!! After trying to phone them unsuccessfully, we radioed the office for help and discovered that another unit had found them and was busy getting them out. Mom and I could have also helped but we would have had to go fetch the landie and get to them - was quicker to just call for help. 

The Mud Stuckers eventually made it to the house and we helped them offload their car and I assisted further by providing them with an ice cold drink. (Guess there had been a reason I packed so much.) 

The rest of the afternoon was spent resting and the evening was quiet and uneventful. Mom made us a Woolies oxtail for dinner and we all chilled on the deck. I got to play with my night vision monocular and WOW!! I spotted a genet and when my bro spotted a hippo, we were able to watch it clearly through the NV. Love my new toy!!!!!

The weather here is in the upper 30s so is a bit toasty. But fortunately a really nice wind has come up and seems to be bringing possible rain. 

I guess it's time to get up and go make coffee and start day 1. Hope you all have an awesome day.

No comments:

Post a Comment